About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Making a Mexican inspired Cheese Ball

Entertaining people is fun. I learned how to entertain from my grandmother. Entertaining at her place was always a big affair and always happened on Sundays. As I grew up, I felt that I could do plenty of entertaining with a reasonable budget. As an adult, I still tend to like to entertain even though sometimes we just don't have enough time. Doesn't mean that I can't share some recipes!


This recipe is rather simple to make. I would prefer that you try to make it a day in advance as the spices will blend well together and the cheese ball is totally firm for your party.

Ingredients

2 packages cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp salted butter, softened
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp mexican oregano
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)

Start by taking out the cream cheese and the butter. Allow to soften to room temperature. Now like most
things, I am making a double batch.

Cream the butter, cream cheese and spices. I am using a simple hand mixer as its easier

 
 

Start to form the cream cheese into a ball. I am using a spatula to form the ball. Once formed, cover with cellophane and allow to set for about an hour (maybe more if need be).



If you are planning to make it like a traditional cheese ball, chop up the walnuts. Take the cheeseball out and spread the chopped nuts onto the cream cheese. You might have to press the nuts onto the ball.

 

This is great for any type of gathering not just for the holidays. Serve this with some club crackers. I personally like the new pretzel crackers that have recently come up. Hope you make this and share with your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment