About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Salsa Tomatillo/Tomatillo Sauce

As in previous posts, I have shown you how to make a variety of salsas. This is one type of salsa that you can have it already premade, but I do prefer to make my own. This salsa is great to use as a sauce for other dishes.

Ingredients:

6 - 8 tomatillos
1 32 oz container of chicken broth (or 32 oz water)
1 large onion
4 jalapeños
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp mexican oregano (or 1 tbsp oregano)
1 bunch of cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

First, start to take the leaves off of the tomatillos. I like to use tomatillos as they bring color to some of my dishes.

Make sure you rinse them and place off to the side. Keep them whole as the boiling process will help in softening the tomatillos.

Start the heat on high and prepare a pot in which you are going to boil the tomatillos. Place half of the broth into the pot.

Add the tomatillos to the pot. Add the rest of the broth if you need to cover the tomatillos.


Dice up the onions and the jalapeños. With the jalapeños, you can take off some of the seeds and veins. This has the most heat, but I prefer to keep the veins with three of the jalapeños and devein the other. Once done, add to the pot.
 
 

Bring this to a boil. You can tell it is done because the tomatillos will have a not so green color. They should also be soft to the touch.

With the blender, add the tomatillos onions and jalapeños. Notice that I am adding the veggies first. Add the broth or liquid to the veggies.


Add the additional spices to the blender.


 

Puree the mixture until well blended. Add additional salt and pepper if you need to. I prefer not to add salt since I might have this with chips, but I tend to use it for enchiladas verdes or enchiladas verdes casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment