About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Poblano Salsa

So last weekend, it was Cinco de Mayo and I wanted to cook a great meal for some of the guys that came over for lunch, but still have enough for the family units over in Angleton. Needless to say it was great to have good people enjoy what was cooked.

One of the items that I made was some homemade salsa. My grandmother was a big believer in making your own salsa. Most of the salsa that she made was with chile piquin (chile del monte). This small pepper is rather potent. Many of my uncles would literally drink the salsa with what ever they ate. Luckily, she would can her salsa in order for it to last year round. Talk about allowing the salsa to sit for months at a time and be stronger as time passed by.

Most of the salsa that she would make would be sauteed. For this recipe, I am going traditional by roasting and/or charring the veggies that are needed for the salsa. Also, I want to start out with a salsa that is not hot. I personally like to have salsa that has some kick, but MC can't have that as it gives some bad acid reflux.

This recipe is my own, but one of many types of salsas that I have made in the past for gatherings, parties, and well just to have in my home.

8 roma tomatoes
1 large onion
2 large poblano peppers
1/2 cup hot water
1 lemons
2 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp mexican oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cayenne
2 small handfuls of cilantro

Preheat the oven to Broil. I find that quickly broiling is much better and allows you to get the veggies nice and charred.

While the oven is heating up, cut the roma tomatoes in halves. Place into a large baking dish. Cut the onion and sprinkle across the already cut tomatoes.Drizzle the olive oil across the tomatoes and onion. Place the baking dish into the broiling oven.


Make sure to check the tomatoes periodically until its fully cooked or slightly charred.Take out of the oven and allow to slightly cool.

 
While the tomatoes/onions are cooling, get the poblano peppers and start to char them. I have done it before over my comal (hot plate), but I do find that doing it over the stove pilate works just great. Keep in mind that I currently have a gas stove. If you use an electric stove, it might not be as effective.

 
 


Once the poblano peppers have slightly cooled, use your knife and scrape the charred flesh. Make sure that the blackened parts are taken off of the pepper. Dice the pepper when you have cleaned it.

 
 


In a blender, add the hot water first. After you have added the water, add the poblano to the blender. Add a little of the actual seeds to the salsa. Poblano peppers aren't typically hot.


Add the tomatoes, onions and the rest of the spices. Keep in mind that since this doesn't have as much kick, you might want to add more seeds or extra cayenne.




Start with slightly chopping and then go to puree until the whole mixture is mixed well. Add the cilantro towards the end. This allows the cilanto to not over power the salsa. 

Add the salt and pepper to taste. Making sure that you blend on occasion. I personally don't add too much salt as I sometimes like to have my salsa with some tortilla chips and the like. As with this recipe, I will be posting some other salsa recipes that I have enjoyed making in the past. If you like try this as a sauce over grilled chicken or fajitas!

No comments:

Post a Comment