About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Icing

I love sweets. Who doesn't, but I have to say that it has to be in moderation. I used to be a rather large kid and young adult, so I find that I can only have really great sweet stuff every now and again....but when I do...I do love having a nice piece of cake. Cupcakes are just as good especially when you can all that goodness in a couple bites.


This recipe is actually from Ina Garten. I really did appreciate all the work that it took to make this as a cake, but of course, I have to change it some to make it more bite size for the  two gatherings I had planned to attend with MC. Along with these cupcakes, I made the Italian Cream Cupcakes. WARNING: This is a rather rich recipe, so if you want something light, don't use this recipe. Otherwise, enjoy this decadent and highly enjoyable dessert!

Ingredients for Cupcakes:

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I am making cupcakes, so I need to make sure that I have enough cupcake cups for the amount of cake dough I made.

Start by sifting all of the dry ingredients into the bowl until combined. Notice I am using a spatula to mix the dry ingredients together. You are more than welcome to use an electric mixer, but its all based on personal preference.

 
 
 

In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Notice that I lightly mix the wet ingredients with a fork.

 
 
 

Once you have mixed the wet ingredients, you can slowly add the mixture to the dry ingredients a little at a time.

With mixer still on low to medium, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.

Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans. Some people like to use foil and bake for 35 minutes. I use a toothpick to check if the cupcakes are done. Cool in the cupcake pan for a couple of minutes and then take out of the pan (probably need to use a knife), then place in a pan to allow to cool completely.


Ingredient for Buttercream:

12 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg yolk, room temperature
1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted

IF you haven't done so, chop the chocolate. I am using Ghirardelli chocolate. Any type of higher end chocolate is great for this recipe.


Prepare the double boiler. I am using a glass bowl over a pot full of boiling water. Stir in the chocolate until it has melted. Make sure you take off the heat and set off to the side assuring that is is at cool to room temperature.
 

I am using an electric mixer. Beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy (at about 3 to 4 minutes).


Sift the confectioners sugar into a bowl. Lower the electric mixer and start to add the sugar a little at a time. Make sure that the mixer is combining well until rather smooth. You might notice that there is some sugar on the side. You are going to need to scrape the sides and continue to stir blending well.


 Add the melted chocolate to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix well until blended. Place off to the side.

Now you are ready to spread the chocolate icing on each of the cupcakes.


After I have made this and the Italian Cream Cupcakes, I iced both of them. Some of the cupcakes went to a family gathering we had one night. I opted to make (or at least try to) bear cupcakes for a pool party the following afternoon. Here's the thing. For the following day, I had the icing in the refrigerator. I brought the icing back to room temperature in order to be able to work with icing the cupcakes. I used chocolate for ears. Needless to say, this was a great idea since many who had them loved it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment