About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Making some Roasted Chicken

Chicken. There are so many things that you can do with it. I know I have shown some dishes that highlight the use of this type of meat. We have been leaning more towards eating more poultry than the beef in recent weeks. So we ended up one weekend wanting to make some roasted chicken with veggies. Don't get me wrong, I do love me a hamburger or a nice slab of t-bone with all of the fixins.

Now Roasted Chicken sometimes can take a while, but if you prep ahead of time it can be rather quick and just pop it into the oven. I have done roasted chicken many ways (even using a beer can), but have opted to show you how I do just regular roast chicken in a regular baking pan. 


Keep in mind. This recipe is for one individual chicken. As usual, I make a double batch as I normally like to have leftovers or freeze some for another potential dish I might make at a later time.

Ingredients:

1 Chicken, between 12 - 16 lb
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp fresh minced rosemary
1 tbsp fresh minced thyme
1 tbsp minced garlic 
4 celery stalks
4 large carrots
1 large yellow onion
1 tbsp poultry seasoning
2 cups white wine

Start by preheating your oven at 350. While the oven is preheating, clean out the chicken. As I have said in the past, its important to clean out any preservatives that may have been with the chicken.


Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.  Sprinkle the poultry seasoning all inside and outside of the chicken. Chop up half of the herbs and do the same thing that you did with the poultry seasoning. With some of the leftover sprigs, place them in the cavity of the poultry.

 
 
 
Now start to chop up the vegetables. Coarsely chop the veggies. Start to place them into each of the chicken. Notice that I am using baby carrots. This is one less task that I have to do (chopping the carrots up).
 

Add the white wine around the chicken covering at least an inch of the dish. Make sure you place some of the wine in the cavity of the chicken. Pour the left over wine outside of the chicken. Yes, I am using one whole bottle of wine, but this is a small bottle AND I am doing this for 2 chickens.


Allow this to cook for about 2 - 3 hours covered with foil. After you have checked to see if the chicken is done, you might do this by seeing the tenderness of the chicken and veggies. If they are done, drain out some of the veggies and liquid.


Place the chicken back to the oven. This will make the skin be a little crisp (sometimes I might have to place the oven in broil to get that). If you choose to have it very crispy, use the broiler. Keep in mind you have to keep an eye on it as you don't want to have dry meat.


Notice that we are having the roasted chicken with wild rice and the vegetables that were cooked with the chicken. In another post, I will share how you can make some great Gourmet Chicken Salad with this Roasted Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment