About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Salsa Part Two

So here is another recipe of salsa that I normally create to go with  my everyday use. Salsa has become one of those things that I like to keep around in our house. Sometimes, I like to use the salsa to be the sauce for chicken as in my previous blog post, Leftover Salsa with Chicken. I tend to always change it up depending who is planning to eat the salsa.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
8 - 10 roma tomatoes
1 large yellow onion
4 jalapeño peppers
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp mexican oregano
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup chicken stock (or broth)
1 small bunch of cilantro
juice of 2 limes 
1 6oz tomato sauce
additional chicken stock 
salt and pepper to taste

Dice the tomatoes in half. Include the seeds and pulp of the tomatoes as it will help with the salsa. With the roma tomatoes you don't necessarily need to cut off the tops of the tomatoes, but its up to you.



You have one option. Like the Poblano Salsa, you can have this roasted in the oven. You also have the option of sauteing the salsa ingredients. More often then not, I saute my ingredients especially if I don't have the time to deal with keeping an eye on roasting veggies.


Dice the onions and add them to the tomatoes.


Dice the bell pepper and jalapeño. Notice that I am not placing all of the seeds to the saute pan.

 
 

Add the spices to the sauteing mixture.



Add the cup of chicken stock and continue to sautee until the peppers are softened. While that is sauteing, also add the juice of 2 limes and cilantro. Take off the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

 



Transfer the mixture to a blender. Add more chicken stock (at your discretion) and the tomato sauce to your mixture. Start to puree. Please keep in mind that I am blending a cooled salsa. You don't want to blend when its hot as it will splatter all over the place. You can if you choose to, but just be aware that you have to keep an eye on the blender.


 

Serve this with some tortilla chips or mix in to your favorite queso. This can refrigerate rather well for a good 2 weeks. My grandmother used to can her various salsa creations. Keep in mind that if you do that, then it would be hotter the longer you keep it canned. Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment