About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Monday, August 6, 2012

Leftover Roasted Chicken? How about making Gourmet Chicken Salad.

Sometimes its hard to come up with ideas for leftovers. Luckily, as I have posted on occasion,  I have produced a couple of ideas. As I had done in the previous post, I had created some Roast Chicken with all the fixins. I needed to use up the chicken and hence me coming up and developed this chicken salad recipe.


I personally don't like to have chicken salad AT ALL. I know. It's all about the mayonnaise. I REALLY don't like too much mayonnaise in my food. I don't things such as potato salad, macaroni salad or the like. The same goes with cold chicken. I just don't do it. Why then am I presenting this recipe? Well, MC LOVES chicken salad. I tried to come up with a solution to use up the chicken and I thought, "what the heck, why not,". I have been told that this was the best chicken salad that has ever been eaten. And luckily it wasn't only MC, but the parents and MawMaw (MC's grandmother). Well, I hope you try the recipe and see what you think.

Ingredients:

1/2 lb leftover roasted chicken meat
1 whole red onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 sprigs of dill
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
juice of half of a lemon
2 tbsp good mayonnaise
1 tbsp brown mustard (preferably dijon)
Coarsely chopped nuts (walnuts preferably)

Start by chopping up the chicken and place into a large bowl.


Chop up the veggies. If you don't have any red onion, you can easily use a yellow onion. This will make the chicken salad a little sweet, especially if you like to use vidalia onions. Also notice, I am finely dicing the veggies. I don't like to have too much crunch (personal preferences), but I sometimes have to make consolations for others. No? Add the veggies to the chicken and mix.


Mince the dill, rosemary and thyme. Place off to the side.


In a separate bowl, place the mayonnaise in the bowl.  Add the lemon, dijon mustard, spices and herbs. Mix all of the ingredients well and place off to the side.

 

Now since the mayonnaise is well mixed, you may add this to the chicken salad mixture. Mix well. Add the chopped nuts to the chicken salad. I am using walnuts since I find that it has a different texture than say pecans. You can serve this with crackers or on a sourdough bread.

 

We ended up having a bridal shower that we hosted along with some close friends. This was a great hit as most were just ranting and raving for the recipe. I was told this is sort of a Waldorf salad. I am not sure as I never had any before, but I just consider this a greatly appreciated Gourmet Chicken Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment