About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Vegetarian Chili

So it's that time of year. Time for soup, savory desserts like Banana Nut Bread and of course chili. There are so many types of chili, but very few recipes for veggie chili. This recipe is something I came up with that is truly vegetarian and at the same time rather flavorful.


You can add additional items like bell pepper, corn, black beans and other such items to the chili. This is especially when you are making a chili for vegetarians. I have cooked it with red and yellow bell pepper. When you do that though, the chili becomes a little sweet for my taste. I don't cook with green bell pepper all the time as this affects M's acid, so I just leave that out.

Ingredients:

1 large yellow onion
1 small red onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can dark red kidney beans
4 cups pinto beans
1 can chili ready tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp chili powder
black pepper and salt to taste

Start by dicing up the onions. Then in a large enough heated pot, add the olive oil. Add the onions to the heated pot.

While the onions are cooking, add the garlic. Continue to cook until the onions are translucent.


Add the light red, dark red, and pinto beans to the cooked onions. Now with pinto beans, I use pinto beans that I have cooked previously. If you don't have fresh pinto beans, then canned will do. I would rinse them as I normally do when making anything like chili.

 

After adding the beans and chili tomatoes, add the vegetable stock to the chili. Bring this to a boil first (about 10 minutes), then bring down to a medium heat. Allow this to cook for about 15 minutes.

 

Add the spices to the chili. Allow to continue to cook for another 30 minutes.



 Again, when I cook chili, I normally like to cook it a day or two before I actually eat it. This lends for the spices to meld together and the flavor is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment