About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Prime Rib anyone?

The New Year has started and we all seem to be wanting to get into keeping resolutions one of those being staying on a diet. I am one that used to do that every year, but what's the point? I mean when you get to the middle of the year, you have tend to fall off the wagon. That's why every year, I continue to indulge in what I like whenever I want. I go to the gym at least 5 days out of the week. I'm a "big boned guy" even when I have been my skinniest. So, just going to gym...watching what I eat is ok...I still have what I want and I don't have to worry about what I can or can't eat.

Well one of those items that people tend to steer clear from is beef. I don't know about you, but I do love a good slice of beef. If you go to the gym and lift weights, then you need some protein...what better item then beef. 

For this post, I wanted to show how you can cook a good large rack of beef. We obtained a large rack of prime rib and it was enough for leftovers, but its great when you have family or friends who would appreciate something totally different. For my family, its a special treat because they never had prime rib.

Ingredients:


3 sprigs of rosemary
2 sprigs of thyme
1 sprigs tarragon
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup peppercorn medley (red and black peppercorns)
7 - 14 lb Prime Rib
1 tbsp olive oil
meat thermometer

Start with mixing all of the spices. Take the herbs from the sprigs. Lightly chop the herbs. Mix with the salt. With the peppercorns, place into a plastic bag. Crush them with either a mallet or a rolling pin. You want the peppercorns coarsely. Mix with the salt/herb mixture. Set aside.


Preheat your oven to broil. While that is preheating, get the meat ready. In a separate pan, place the olive oil and heat the pan. This is where you sear the pan.

 

After you have seared the meat, add the salt/pepper/herb mixture atop of the meat. Place into the preheated oven that is in a broil. Allow to broil for 30 minutes. After that, bring the temperature back down to 375 degrees. Allow to continue to cook, checking the temperature periodically.

 Check your prime rib every 30 minutes. Insert a meat thermometer. You are looking for an internal temperature reading of 180 degrees.  Once it's ready, take out of the oven. Allow the meat to rest for an additional 20 to 30 minutes. This allows the meat to rest and really is juicy.


Slice the meat to your selected thickness. Before you slice though, make sure you take the salt mixture off of the meat. The flavors will seep through the meat, but you don't want to have too much salt while eating your slice.

To go with the prime rib, I used the drippings, mushroom, red wine, butter and some of the spices. I created a gravy for the prime rib.


Well, for little ones, they might not like it rare. To solve that, we had to place certain pieces back in the broiler. Needless to say, my niece really liked the prime rib. I strongly suggest you try making it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment