About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Shrimp with Curried Coconut Sauce

So I was watching the Cooking Channel with MC's parents this morning and came across Emeril's recent cooking show. He decided to cook a series of dishes that were inspired by Indian cuisine. As you know, I have a tendency to just come up with my own version. For this dish, I did not add any jalapeƱos. Most of us don't have the luxury of purchasing fresh ginger or garlic, so I wanted to make sure I cooked a dish that didn't require me buy that much in groceries.

 

WARNING: If you don't have cardamom, then try to make do without it. I went to the local grocery store and found the spice for over 10 bucks! That was crazy, but I am a purist (or at least I try to be) when cooking authentic ethnic dishes such as this.

Ingredients:

1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
1 12 oz can coconut milk
1 lb shrimp
Additional salt and pepper to taste

Start with cleaning the shrimp. I like to use fresh shrimp. MC's parents took me to a place in Matagorda Bay and so I thawed out some shrimp that I purchased there. I cleaned up the shrimp by taking off the exoskeleton. I also slice the back of the shrimp to take out the inner vein.


Chop up the veggies. Make sure they are long strips.


Once you have chopped the veggies, add them to a pan. This will have the olive oil. Place the veggies into the pan, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook until the veggies start to get somewhat translucent.

 

As the veggies are continuing to cook, start to add the spices to the mixture. Emeril had fresh ginger, jalapenos, and garlic. He chose to cook the spices with plenty of oil. I am reversing the order by cooking the spices while the veggies are in the pan.


 
After you cook the veggies and spices, add the coconut milk. Allow to continue to cook. Taste the sauce. You might need to add salt and/or some more spice. Remember, BYOC (be your own chef). If you want it more spicy, then add what you want to it. In my case, MC can't have anything that is too spicy, but wants it flavorful. While the mixture is thickening, add the shrimp. Stir on occasion.

 

 


The last thing that needs to be added after adding the shrimp would be your cilantro. Try to take the leaves from the stems. Stir in the leaves to the shrimp mixture.


Well, I am having this with some pita bread (didn't have a chance to buy naan). We ate this with some spiced rice (another post for this one at a later date). This was nice and light. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment