About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blackened Tilapia

I really do like fish. Sometimes though, it gets a little cumbersome to just prep the fish you are planning to cook. Luckily, like most of the posts I like to cook what I make on Sunday along with other meals for the week. MC really did like the fish (as is rather finicky with spices). This is a really good fish recipe.

Ingredients

4 tilapia filets
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp tumeric
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp adobo seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter

When working with frozen tilapia, make sure you rinse them.

 Next, mix all of the spices in a small bowl.

 
 

After you have mixed the spices, rub the spice on each side of the tilapia filets. Make sure that the spice lightly covers each filet.
 

When I cook fish, I like to use both olive oil and a pat of butter. Start by adding the olive oil first. While the oil is heating up, add the butter. Swish around the pat of butter with the olive oil. When the butter is melted, add the fish to the hot olive oil/butter mixture.

 

After adding the fish onto the pan, cook the fish. Once you notice the edges of the fish start to get slightly cooked, flip the filets. Allow the filets to continue to cook. Take off the heat once you notice the fish is slightly cooked on both sides. Cover with a lid. This will allow the fish to finish cooking. You can blacken the fish as dark as you want, but keep in mind that the more time you cook the fish, the less moist it will be.

 


As you can tell, I had some leftover shrimp with coconut curry sauce. I drizzled the leftover sauce and shrimp over the fish. Remember, I cooked this on Sunday, so I just now had it tonight. The spices on the fish went so well with the rice (rice with onions and diced spinach). What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment