About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Curried Rice

One of the many things that I truly love is living in a multicultural city. Of course, I come from a strong multicultural background (my mom and our extended family down South). I do love me some spicy food, but as I have gotten older, I make sure I don't eat anything too terribly hot. I have made the mistake of eating very hot food that does a number on me. Lately, with MC, I tend to make rather flavorful food that makes great use of spice and is great tasting.

Well, so today I am introducing another indigenous recipe that I have created being inspired with what I have seen the past couple of weeks via good ole television. If you are interested when adding the spices, make sure you add what you feel comfortable with.

Ingredients:

1 cup enriched white rice
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ginger
1 dash cayenne
1 tsp cardamom (some expensive spice)

First, place the olive oil into a preheated pan. Add the white rice.


Allow the rice to slightly toast. While that is cooking, quickly dice the onions and add to the rice.

 
 
Add the hot water to the rice and onion mixture. Make sure to stir the rice as the water needs to mix well with the onions and rice. Bring to a boil.
 

While the rice is boiling, start to add the spices. Stir and make sure you add salt.

 
 
 

Cover the rice and reduce the heat. While that is simmering, dice the spinach. Make sure to cut off the stems from each leaf. I opted to julienne instead of dicing the spinach.


 
Take of the heat. Allow it to set and stir in the spinach that you have cut. Run a fork through the rice.  As in previous posts, I have made this rice with Curry Shrimp and blackened Tilapia.


1 comment:

  1. Hope you're doing well, man. Been a while since I've seen a new post... I love the step-by-step shots in this recipe BTW. It's always helpful to see how a recipe came together...

    ReplyDelete