About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Making Gravy - White Cream Gravy

What is it about gravies/sauces that makes food taste so damn good? So earlier one day, I decided that I wanted to make some Fried Chicken, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to make either a Brown or Cream Gravy. Normally, I make Brown Gravy with a dish that has beef or pork whereas chicken gets a cream.


Well, then. I guess you can surmise what I ended up making - cream. I haven't, though, shared how I make this type of sauce. Below is a simple recipe that I have done for many years. I originally learned to make white cream gravy from Graham Kerr. As time has gone by, I have made changes every time I make this rich gravy. I have to admit, this is one gravy that might make you want to drink it. LOL!

Ingredients:

2 to 4 tbsp vegetable oil (preferably oil you used to fry chicken)
1/3 cup flour (additional flour, if necessary)
1 cup milk
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp minced garlic
additional milk or chicken stock (to help in thickness/thinning of gravy)
additional salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chicken stock

If you are using oil from when you fried chicken, skim out the oil. Notice that I am skimming any of the pieces that were left behind from cooking the chicken. This would be rather clear.


 

Start to heat the oil in the small pot (you could also use a sauce pan) on high heat. Add the flour to the heated oil.
 

Continue to stir every so often allowing the flour to cook for about 4 - 5 minutes. You will start to notice that the flour starts to become a little creamy white. Basically, you are making a roux. The darker the roux, the darker the gravy.
 

Add the milk to the cooking flour. While you are slowly adding the milk to the flour, continue to whisk.

 

Then add the spices to the mixture. Remember to continue to stir while you are adding all of the spices. Stir and cook for about 4 minutes. Taste to see if you need to add additional salt and pepper to the gravy. Lower the heat to med/med low.

 

Add the chicken stock to the gravy making sure you mix well. Allow to continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
Lower the heat and allow to continue to cook for another 10 minutes stirring on occasion. If the gravy is too thick, add additional milk or chicken stock to the gravy. Notice that the gravy will be ready when you have a thick coat of gravy on your gravy spoon.


I really do love making various types of gravies and sauces. They are so easy to make and compliment any meal especially good Southern food such as homemade Fried Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment