About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Making Gravy - Brown Gravy

I have been told that I am rather good with making gravies and sauces. I learned early on from my Grandma that its really important to have a tasty sauce in order to go well with the meat (especially carne guisada). From what I have seen in some of these cooking shows, I realized that this knowledge of sauces is one of the essential things when cooking.

Along with Brown Gravy, I have learned how to make White Cream Gravy. This can be very easy, but it all is dependent on the


Ingredients:


1 tbsp bacon fat
1 tsp butter

1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup beef broth or stock
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp worcheshire
1 tsp steak sauce
1 tsp garlic
Pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste

Start with melting the bacon fat and butter. Once this has been melted, add the flour to the hot pan.


Start to whisk the flour with the melted bacon fat/butter. Notice that is starts to clump up in crumbles. Make sure you continue to whisk/mix. 


 Notice that you will want to continue to mix this and the flour starts to brown. If you like a lighter brown gravy/sauce, then you need to add your liquid right now. I choose to make it darker, so I have it continue to cook till it gets to a darker shade.


Now start to add the liquid to the flour, continuing to whisk the whole time. Keep note that if you use a cold liquid, you will have to bring the sauce back to a boil in order for the flour to mix well with the liquid.



Add the spices to the gravy and continue to whisk. I add salt and pepper to taste. I typically don't like to add alot of salt to my sauces as you want the sauce/gravy to be savory (too much salt takes away from the flavor). 

 With the brown gray that I made, I have leftover meatloaf and mash potatoes. This type of sauce is great with chicken fried steak, hot pork or even some brisket.


5 comments:

  1. That gravy is mouth-watering. I have never made homemade gravy (although I don't use gravy often), but the next time I do I'm trying this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! I love making a good gravy or sauce to compliment a tater or meat dish. Wait for Thanksgiving!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ismael, I would love to feature this original gravy recipe in one of my upcoming Tuesday Tutor blogs (you can check out today's post for an example). Please let me know if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW SURE!! Thank you so much for the honor..I would like to return the favor sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I've sent you a message with more details via Google Connect - if you don't get it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete