About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Thursday, November 3, 2011

White Bean Chili

A long while back (actually this past summer), I had to opportunity to go to Colorado. I had such a wonderful time and the views were utterly breath taking. Luckily, we had driven to many areas within the Northern part of Colorado. At the same time, I was able to get some mayorca beans as well as some sweet corrn from Olathe. I have to thank LC and JC as they really showed me so much about Colorado. I love them and they are truly great people.

This recipe calls for dry white beans, so you can either soak them overnight or cook them the day of. Enjoy this recipe as it was really good.

Ingredients:

2 cups dry white beans, mayorca beans
3 cups chicken stock or water
6 chicken thighs
3 celery stalks
1 bell pepper
1 onion
2 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp bacon fat

Start with cleaning out the white beans. Place the beans into the pot and add the liquid. Add the salt as it will help in the cooking process. Continue to cook on high until you have the beans boiling. Make sure you stir on occasion as this will avoid beans in the bottom from getting burned. This will cook for about 2 hours. You will have to add some more water as it will reduce.

While the beans are continuing to cook, start to dice the chicken thighs. I find that thighs have the best flavor for something as hearty as chili. Remember to cook this until it gets browned.


Start to dice the celery, bell pepper and onion. Once you have cut all the veggies, place back into the same pan where you have the drippings from the chicken that you have cooked. I have also added a spoonful of bacon fat because the chicken didn't have enough fat like I want. Also, keep in mind that I don't add a lot of fat as I have used this when I cooked both the chicken and veggies.




Notice that the broth from the beans will have gotten creamy. Start to add the chicken and veggies that you have cooked.


Stir in all of the ingredients. Lower the heat and add all of the spices to the chili. Allow to continue to cook. Notice that you may need to add a little more broth or hot water to the mixture.


Well I like to add some cheese and maybe a little sour cream.


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had chili without tomatoes or chili powder before - but I love the idea because it would really let the other flavors come through. Do you use regular paprika powder or smoked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of using smoked paprika...am going to think of using that next time. I used regular paprika

    ReplyDelete