About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Monday, November 12, 2012

3 meat, 3 bean chili

Making chili is such a great thing to do and its freaking easy to make. I know I have made some previous posts where one could enjoy White Bean Chili and Buffalo Chili. Any of these types of meals is hearty, but of course its not necessarily vegetarian.


Here's a thing about making this type of chili, you make it your own. I have made this before with buffalo and pork as well. One time, I made it even with deer meat. When you use meat that is a little more gamey (deer, squirrel or other type of meat), make sure you soak the meat in buttermilk. This helps taper off the taste of game and you could enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 lb turkey
1 lb lamb
1 large onion, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cans 8 oz Hunts tomato for chili
1 4 oz tomato sauce
4 - 6  cups beef stock (or beef broth)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder (additional, in case)
1 tbsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Start by getting a large pot well heated, adding some olive oil. Brown the meat.

 

While the meat is cooking, dice the onions. Add the onions to the cooking meat. If you like, you may add a small red onion. This would add a little sweetness to the chili, but not much.

 
 

After about 5 minutes (or when the onions are a little translucent), I add ground turkey that I had previously used for turkey tacos. Allow to cook for about another 5 minutes. Now if you are using turkey that is freshly ground, Mix with the other meats and allow to cook as normal.

 

Add the garlic to the cooking meat, cooking for about 1 minute. Make sure you mix on occasion.


Now add the beans to the cooking meat. Allow to cook for about another 5 minutes. Make sure you don't over stir as you might bruise the beans.

 

 

Add the liquid items. Mix in every time you add a liquid item to the cooking chili. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Add a lid to your pot as it will help in the cooking process.

 

Add the spices. Notice that I am not stirring until I have added all the spices. As with most things that I cook, I don't oversalt things since I have the beef broth, tomato sauce and other items that have enough salt. Let the chili cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and see if you need to add additional spices to the cooking chili.

 

Allow to continue to cook for about 20 minutes on high. This should be coming to a boil. Reduce the heat to about low heat. This will continue to cook for another 10 to 20 minutes making sure you stir on occasion.


Turn off the heat and take off of the heat. This is especially if you are using an electric stove.


Know that I have cooked this 1 day ago. I normally like to cook this well in advance because the spices need to meld well together. This was a winner AGAIN as I had approval from MC and the in law. Serve this with crackers and some sour cream/cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment