About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, October 23, 2011

White Rice with Basil and Onions

Lately, I have been trying to cook a little healthier. Sometimes, its hard though, especially when there are so many good comfort foods that I would love to have right now. Luckily, I have been restricted to eating certain things as my teeth are recovering from that extraction. Today, I decided to make some white rice with basil and onions. Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:

2 cups white rice
3 tsbp butter
3 cups hot water or chicken stock
Pepper to taste
Salt, to taste
1 cup basil

First, get a large enough pot and start to heat it. Add the butter to the pot and allow to melt. Then add the white rice.

Once the rice has been browned some, add the hot water/chicken stock. Continue to cook and stir the rice.  Bring this to a boil.

While the rice is boiling, add both the salt and pepper to the rice. Dice the onions and place into to the boiling pot. After a couple of minutes, reduce the heat to a simmer.


As the rice is continuing to cook, julienne the basil. I tend to wash the fresh basil and cut the basil. Add the basil when the rice is done.


Stir in the basil to the rice and onion. The fresh basil will cook with the rice. I love to have this with fresh veggies or some meat (pork). 


2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, basil :) I find rice to be very challenging for me as there are so few ways I enjoy eating it. So far, risotto and rice pudding seem to be about the only ways I like it. Although this recipe shows promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!! Made it tonight and family loved it. Simmered rice on low for 10 min and used fresh basil. I'll be making this again for sure! Rice was golden, tender, yet firm....PERFECT

    ReplyDelete