About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Friday, July 26, 2013

Stewed Pork (Guisado de Puerco)

My grandmother loved to cook pork dishes. Since she and grandad used to raise pigs (along with me helping cleaning their pens), we would always have pork readily available. Traditionally, we would really use up all parts of the pigs even including the unusual parts.

Nowadays, I do have my share of eating the unusual like tripe, mollejas, etc, but not as much as when I used to eat when I was a kid. My abuelita used to always make a large batch of diced stewed pork. She would have plenty of leftover, but would use it for different dishes for during the week (especially when she would have to cook something for grandad).

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
2 pounds of cubed pork
1 medium sized onion
2 tbsp minced garlic (or 2 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp Worcestershire 
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp paprika

When working with meat, you want to make sure you don't have to do too much in prepping it. If you can find a good meat market, they can dice them for you, but that is a rarity nowadays.

Start to dice the pork. When you get cubed meat, sometimes the pieces are not cut the same size. Hence you must need to cut up the pieces. I am also using up some leftover chops




In a large pan, add the olive oil and bring to a high heat.

Add the meat to the heated pan browning for about a minute before you turn them. Add the diced up onion to the cooking meat.

 

Now you should be ready to add the spices along with worcestershire.

 

While the meat and onions are cooking, I add one can of beer. I am doing this as I have not marinated the meat overnight. Normally, if I marinate them overnight, it reduces my cook time. Once I have added the beer, cover it and continue to cook on high heat for about 15 minutes. Reduce to a simmer continuing to cook for another 20 minutes. This allows the cook to become tender. Keep in mind that if you need to add more liquid add at least 1/2 a cup of water.

 

Now here is the thing, normally for a guisado, you can just add flour or cornstarch to create a gravy and you are ready. Otherwise, you can cook it until the liquid dissipates. You will notice that if you do that the meat is "spoon tender". 

For this go around, I am making quesadillas. Remember, I normally like to use quesadilla cheese. Most stores do sell them here in Texas, but if you don't find it in your area, you can also use colby jack.


I am using large burrito sized tortillas. As you can see I am using a flat cast iron comal. I heat the tortillas in order to make them more pliable. I add a layer of cheese and then spoon some of the cooked pork. I add another layer of cheese
 

You can also make this mixture for other uses such as toppings for a salad, in tacos, enchiladas and other dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment