About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Friday, July 5, 2013

Chicken Tomatillo Casserole

So I have placed many posts on various recipes that are inspired by my grandmother. She truly has taught me to appreciate food and how to get people to equally appreciate as well.


My grandmother rarely would make casseroles, but I do remember when she would make a green tomatillo casserole for my grandad. This recipe calls for use of Green Tomatillo Salsa. This is a very simple recipe, but very delicioso!!

Ingredients:

leftover tomatillo salsa (12 oz)
7 chicken thighs
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups spinach
1 16 oz package shredded cheese

Start by cooking the chicken thighs. Make sure you cook them until browned. Once they have cooked through, take off the drippings allowing them to drain.


Dice up the onions and place into the pan that the chicken was cooking in. Cook until somewhat translucent. While that is cooking, dice up the cooked chicken thighs. Place the diced chicken with the onions. Add some chicken stock and spices to the cooking mixture, stirring on occasion.


While the diced onions and chicken is cooking, add the spinach to the mixture. Cook until the spinach is cooked through. I have some of the leftover salsa that was in the freezer and am using it into the cooking mixture. I do like using my own salsa then the store bought brands.


 

Heat up the corn tortillas. If you want, use the microwave. I am using my comal to heat the tortillas up.


Now layer together everything, starting first with the some of the other leftover salsa. The next layer would be the corn tortillas. Notice that I am using a small casserole dish. You may cut the torillas in fours and layer them on top of the salsa. I prefer to tear the tortillas. Then add a layer of the chicken mixture. Add a layer of cheese and finally add another layer of tortillas.

 


When you close to the edge of the casserole dish, add the last of the salsa mixture atop the casserole. Finally add the shredded cheese. Cover with some foil paper and place in a preheated oven at 350. Have the casserole cooking for about 30 minutes. Take the foil off and allow to cook 5-10 minutes more to allow the cheese to melt and create a nice crust. Enjoy with beans, rice or a nice salad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment