About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chicken in Brown Sauce

Most of this blog has many original recipes that I have kept perfecting over the years. Remember, I am very much the type to remake something totally different after I cooked it days before for another totally different meal. This is especially true since MC doesn't necessarily like to eat leftovers. I mean when you think about it, most people don't like to eat leftovers (well I do, but I can't count myself right...).


This recipe was one that I have done for many years, but I hardly do it as it can be rather rich. It was a welcome treat as a meal for during this week. You can make this well in advance and allow the spices to meld well. When you do that, I would suggest you eat it the following day as it is a cream sauce.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
leftover chicken thighs (6 or 7 pieces)
1 red bell pepper
1 medium sized onion
1 cup white wine
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
leftover brown gravy (from Brown Gravy recipe)
1/2 cup heavy cream
additional pepper and salt to taste

Start by dicing up the onion and bell pepper.



In a large pan, place the olive oil and on bring to high heat. Add the vegetables allow to continue to cook until translucent.

While the vegetables are cooking, start to dice up the leftover chicken thighs. Again, I prefer to use chicken thighs as it is cheaper than chicken breast. Allow to continue to cook for about 2 minutes.

 

While the chicken mixture is cooking, add the white wine. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes making sure that the wine has cooked through (for about 5 minutes).


Add the spices to the cooking chicken. Stir in the spices as they are mixing with the chicken.

 

Next add the leftover gravy. Now if you need to make a gravy off to the side, then do so, but again, Just save your leftover brown gravy. I think its a shame when you have to throw out something like a gravy. Reusing it for this recipe is great!! Allow to cook until heated through.


After you have added the gravy, add  the heavy cream to the mixture, stirring on occasion. This will act as a thickener to the sauce. Once it has cooked for 5 minutes, take off the heat.


Now at this time, you can cook up some pasta. For this time, I cooked up some linguine. After you have drained the pasta, add a couple of tablespoons of pasta water to the sauce. This is especially useful when your sauce may have dissipated.

The biggest trend nowadays is adding your pasta to the actual sauce. You can add the pasta to the sauce, but I prefer the tried and true way of just adding the pasta to your bowl and pouring the delicious sauce over it. I then twist the pasta and it mixes well together. Its rich, but muy delicioso!

No comments:

Post a Comment