About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
Just your atypical hispanic male living in the big city

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Roast anyone?

As I have said before, I learned many little things from my grandmother. One of those things was making a roast. Of course she always had her own mexican way of doing a roast and then she would use it for tacos and the like. I am sharing a simple roast that I typically use when its just for me and M. I just decided to make this along with mash taters, and squash.


3 tbsp worcestershire
1 cup red wine, cabernet is good
3 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp paprika
1 bay leaf
2 tsp thyme
1 large onion, chopped
3 sprigs of rosemary
2 sprigs tarragon
2 cups beef broth
2 pats of butter
1 tsp olive oil
5 tbsp flour

Preheat the oven at 250. Keep in mind this is a day long affair and slow cooking the meat in this manner makes the meat very tender. I normally start it at 9am. Mix all the salt, pepper, paprika and mix with the meat making sure it is covered with the spices. Place into a baking dish. Add the wine and worcestershire to the meat. Add the onion on top of the meat. Cover with the sprigs of rosemary and tarragon. Cover with the foil and place into the oven. It will slowly cook and check the meat every 2 to 3 hours. It normally is done by 6 to 7 hrs. All depends on how you like your meat. Once it is done, take out of the oven and let it set for another 20 minutes.


Now if you like gravy, heat a sauce pan adding the olive oil and butter. Add your flour to the pan and brown the flour making it into a roux. Once you have it browned, add the leftover drippings from the meat and the beef broth. Continue to mix until the mixture becomes more thick like a gravy. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until it gets a good thick consistency.



For this week, I also made some chicken for salad and open faced sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment